Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Rider's Wednesday -- One More Reason to Ride!

I've been working with Dr. Warson on "The Rider's Back Book," and received this e-mail from him earlier this week:

Thought of another item: Why is it that your back hurts when you dismount, usually not before?

Answer (believe it or not, neurophysiologically it's true): riding a horse is neurophysiologically somewhat like mini-intercourse. The perineal stimulation results in endorphin release which masks the pain.

Do we put this somewhere, expand on it, or do you tell me where to get lost with it? 


I responded that since he's a doctor, I certainly won't quibble with his understanding of neurophysiology. All I (and millions of other women) needed, however, was ONE MORE REASON for our husbands to be jealous of the time we spend with our horses!

I also told him that I'd include this little tidbit in today's blog and see if it gets any sort of response. We haven't decided if it merits inclusion in the manuscript, however...

Considering Geoff's Book Cover

We received the preliminary cover art for "Geoff Teall on Riding Hunters, Jumpers and Equitation" today. I always feel a little presumptuous when I weigh in with my opinion on such things. It's not that I don't have an opinion. (I have opinions on nearly everything.) It's just that my opinion may not be the most informed one out there. Graphics and design aren't my thing. I'm aware of that. And so anything I venture must be taken with a liberal dose of salt.

I gave my two cents' worth -- it was certainly nice to be asked what I thought. But it's really up to Geoff and Trafalgar Square to make the final decision. That's fine. That's as it should be. I don't have to have the final word on everything in the project...

Things Could Be Worse
I had two teleseminars scheduled for yesterday (one with Terri and one with Geoff). Another one was scheduled with Dr. Warson this afternoon. We ran into unforeseen difficulties, however. Gary -- the guy who runs the bridge lines and does the recording -- was supposed to have angioplasty last Thursday. Unfortunately, he ended up having open heart surgery instead.

Amazingly, his wife called us from the hospital to apologize for the inconvenience! Poor guy. So, what was a mild glitch to me and my clients was literally a matter of life and death to him. We told him not to worry. He needs to focus on getting better, healing quickly, and not stressing. He'll contact us when he's up and running again.

I'm not in any hurry to find a new vendor or to do the teleseminars without him. I know what it's like to have medical issues interfere with work. I like this guy. We can wait.