Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Blog Reboot: The Next Post

I've been meaning to post an update for what feels like a lifetime. Some days I'll even log on -- then I'll see my last post, my final tribute to WunderGuy, and I'll feel all the energy drain out of me.

Nothing I want to write seems appropriate for The Next Post. Compared to losing Robert, everything seems trite. Unimportant. Frivolous.

I thought of closing up shop -- shutting the blog down and calling it quits. Some days I could muster no answer to the question of "What's the point?"

But there is an answer: Life goes on.

I can't be blog blocked forever. Robert may be gone, but the world continues to spin. So I'm going to take Robert's fix-all tech-guy advice. Whenever I would get stuck and grumble with frustration (I can grump with the best of them, let me tell ya), he would ask: "Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?"



For the past 6 months, this blog has been turned off. Now it's time to turn it back on.

This summer, God willing, I've got plans to launch another blog. And maybe a newsletter (further bulletins as events warrant). This will remain up and running, but it's going to go through a makeover.

By my estimate, there are roughly 13 bazillion blogs and websites out there that dispense writing advice. More power to them. In the near future, I'm going to spend some time archiving and culling a lot of the posts from the past 12 years. I'll leave some of the most popular ones up. (This post on "How to Write a Foreword," for instance, is one of the first things you see if you Google the question. It'll stay.) I'll also continue to help new and struggling writers in my workshops and at Write2TheEnd. But I'm going to blog less about the writing process and more about the way-cool stuff I keep running across in my research for various writing projects.

 Eighth grade graduation. It's a thing.

[Lately, I'm all about runaway slaves in eighteenth century America and Pickett's Charge at the Battle of Gettysburg. Oh, and historical UFO sightings. Research FTW!]

So this post kicks off life post-WunderGuy. It's greyer. Lonelier. Some days feel like they are encased in fog, cloying, thick, and heavy. But there are good things, too. A partial list of Things That Make My World a Better Place:

* My kid. She is awesome and funny and lovely; she laughs at my jokes and joins in on loud, word-tripping renditions of the "Hamilton" soundtrack. Plus, she rocks the tiny kitty headband like no one's business.

* Dogs. Mine (I've got four -- all essential for my health and well-being) as well as others'. Kestrel's dignity, River's enthusiasm, Zephyr's devotion, and Major's pure silliness make every day worthwhile.

Friends. Friends who brunch, breakfast, and lunch are invaluable. So are the friends who share their cool artistic talents, who shame me into going to the gym, and who indulge in over-eating sugar-based foodstuffs to counteract that whole gym nonsense.

Sunshine. Do not mock me. I live in Michigan. We do not take the Golden Orb for granted. Rather, we celebrate it when it makes an appearance.

Chocolate. And raspberry sherbet. And Hot Tamales. And anything salted caramel or toffee.

Coffee. Some days all it takes is a hot cuppa to make life worth living.

Creativity. No one lives forever. But when we're gone, the work remains. Plus, nothing matches the creative high. Nothing.

Maybe you're in a place that could use a little life rebooting too. Maybe you feel like you've been turned off and are ready to power back up. If so, why not try making a list of things that make your world better? See if it helps you. And feel free to add to my list. We're all in this together.

Keep on keeping on. Here's to reboots...

8 comments:

MaMa Christine said...

Ami. J'aime bien tes ecritures. Is that a word? Your humor, your earthy reality, please my happy bone. Prayers for you.
Christine

stan stewart (aka @muz4now) said...

Ami,

Thanks for your wit, your perseverance, and your willingness to creatively reboot.

Playful blessings,
Stan

Ami Hendrickson said...

Christine and Stan -- Thank you so much for your kind comments and your unfailing support. They mean the world to me. As do friends like you.

Larissa said...

Missed you Ami. Happy to see an update from you.

Ami Hendrickson said...

Hi, Larissa!
I'm slowly working my way back. Rebooting, as it were. :) But I'm here. God is good.

Unknown said...

Double-dipped chocolate covered peanuts. Blond coffee. Seeing my youngest's graphic art show up on the evening news. Hearing whippoorwills and hoot owls all in the same evening. Listening to the eldest talk about his latest kidney transplant patient and knowing that I was right in never, ever giving up on that boy. That one again. How good my stomach feels after a day of fasting and right before I open the package of double dipped chocolate covered peanuts. Handwritten cards received in the mailbox.

Ami Hendrickson said...

Ruth:
Oh, those are all *excellent* things that make the world a better place! So good to hear from you. And so good to hear that your world is in good shape. :)

Unknown said...

You're strong and brave and I hope you keep blogging. I send you an extra warm thought now and again.