Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Rider's Wednesday -- Bareback Breaking

Since I finished the rough draft for Dr. Warson's Back Book, I've made good on my promise to work Theo every day.

He's been so good with the groundwork, listening to me, responding well, and learning to ignore Scary Things that it's time to move the training along. So, the other day, I got on him. He was bareback, with just a halter on, and he could have cared less about carrying a passenger.

I did a variation of what Clinton calls "the Human Currycomb." In his version, you lay lengthwise along the horse's spine, rubbing him vigorously with your hands the whole time. Then you slide backwards in increments along the spine, until you are hanging off the horse's butt and slide to the ground.

Well, Theo's butt is over my head, so I wasn't real keen on the whole sliding backwards off it scenario. Furthermore, since he's so big, I couldn't just jump up on his back. I needed to stand on top of a picnic table, and stand on tip-toe in order to get up there.

But I did several of the things that I've seen Clinton do. I stood with my feet firmly planted on one side of the horse while I waved and flailed my arms around on the other side of him. (This is to get the horse used to seeing you on both sides of him, and to accustom him to a human moving on his back -- as opposed to getting on a green horse and sitting quietly still for fear of spooking him.)

Then I rubbed one foot up and down his spine, while itching his withers and neck with my hands. He loved that. (He's a very itchy horse.)

Then I draped over his back and just hung there, rubbing on him, scritching itchy places, and waving my hands and feet back and forth.

Finally, I thumped very solidly to the ground -- dramatically announcing my dismount.

I repeated the whole process about 50 times -- mounting, hanging on, waving around, and plunking to the ground -- from both sides. Theo could have cared less. He was far more interested in nibbling on a lunge whip I'd left lying on the table top.

Clinton says there is "something about having your heart close to the horse" that makes them stand still and enjoy this part of the breaking process.

Theo is the first horse I've broken using many of Clinton's methods, and the first one I've started bareback, as opposed to using a saddle. I have to say that the combination of solid groundwork and bareback breaking make for an unusually cooperative green horse who obviously enjoys the training.

This, of course is good when the three year old in question weighs close to a ton and towers over your head. As I lay across his back and climbed all over him, I couldn't help but think, "That's a great big slab of muscle I'm sitting on," and "It sure is a looonnng way down..."

Fortunately, for me, however, Theo was thinking, "Oooooo! She found another itch!"

That's another thing about bareback breaking -- it lets you capitalize on all the itchy spots. Everyone wins! And it feels great!