Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Puppy Love


Sera, our lovely little English Mastiff, continues to charm her way into our lives. She's 13 weeks old now, and the most Perfect Puppy I've ever known.

In the short time she's been with us, she has learned:

* Humans do not comprehend the inherent Toy Value of shoes.
* Cats and chickens are almost, but not quite, as much fun to play with as footwear.
* "Business" is to be done outdoors. Even when it's raining.
* No one in the family enjoys having their toes chewed.
* If Mom calls, run around the cat. Cats don't move. They hate getting run over, and they make for nasty speed bumps.
* Everything tastes better in the kitchen.
* When in doubt, go to the crate.
* It's hard to stand up when you're stepping on your ears.
* No one in the family ever runs out of "scritches" and hugs.
* Life is goooooood.

"Dribble Work"

Work has slowly been trickling in from various clients. I honestly thought my Very Important Project would be so hot right now that I'd be unable to accept new clients or new projects until the end of the year. However, it is currently stalled in Committee.

This development has given me time to start on Ryan Gingerich's book. But I'm caught up on that, too, pending Ryan's commentary and approval on the preliminary chapters.

This has allowed me to work with my friend Paula, who I'm helping put together a proposal for a book about her very interesting life. And that, too, is caught up.

Which means that -- barring a load of files being dumped in my In-Box tonight -- I have a window of opportunity to work on my own stuff! I'm practically giddy with anticipation.

I want to continue working on the screenplay I workshopped with Jim Mercurio in July. I want to finish the text and illustrations of a coloring book for Mini Miracles a friend's not-for-profit ministry that uses miniature horses, dogs, and other therapy animals to brighten the days of the sick and elderly. And I have an idea for another screenplay that I'd like to be able to play around with in the near future.

Though there is no shortage of work to be done for my clients, as of now, the balls are all in their courts. Which leaves my court free for playing on my own.

Let the games begin!