Thursday, February 07, 2008

And God Said "HA!"


In Next , Nic Cage plays Cris Johnson, a man gifted with precognitive abilities to see a few minutes into his own future. However, he warns us, simply looking at the future is enough to change it.

I can go him one better. Sometimes simply stating the present is enough to alter it.

In my February Already?! post, I discussed the current situation at the Hendrickson house. It was nearly idyllic: Robert was happy to watch our 5 year old daughter and the 2 year old son of a friend of ours in order to provide me with lengthy, uninterrupted daily writing time to work on my current screenplay project.

Robert has been doing so well. February 2 marked the 12 year anniversary of his surgery to remove a brain tumor. As of January 31, he had gone three full years without seizing.

But if you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans. A breakthrough seizure inflicted itself on our happy family on Tuesday night during supper. While we're not exactly back to Square One, we are certainly forced to regroup and come up with Plan B.

My writing time is now much more hard-won. And my worry about my husband's well-being has returned. But it just goes to show that the only thing constant is change. And it makes me appreciate my Happy Place all the more -- if I could just get there more often.