Friday, May 12, 2006

Mothers Day

My parents are visiting for the weekend. Yesterday, precious little work got done because we were out shopping. ("What do you mean, you're not going with us?" was my mother's reply when I told her that I'd be staying home because I had work to do...)

My mom is thoroughly enjoying being a grandmother -- and my daughter is soaking up all the doting attention. They're playing in the hallway now, after watching "The Heffalump Movie," one of Cassandra's favorites.

Today's post is not about writing or riding. It's about Moms. We've all got one. Some are great, some are tragically terrible. Some are biological and others are God-given. Some are superwomen, and some are so deeply flawed that they irreparably damage their children. But good, bad, or indifferent, they all brought life into the world and allowed it to grow.

As a mother, my goal is not to create a carbon-copy of myself (heaven forbid!), but to raise a person who can make her own way in life, who knows her own heart and mind, and who can have an impact on the world, and on other.

I am very blessed to have a wonderful mother. She has always been happy for my successes, and supportive of my goals -- even when she didn't understand what motivated me. With any luck, Cassandra will feel the same way about her mother when she grows up.