Friday, April 02, 2010

Relax & Write

Today, MuseInk welcomes guest blogger Monique Jones, who offers advice that every writer can take to heart...



Writing can be hard work if you're in a slump. There are a lot of articles on the internet about how to get out of a writer's block, but the most important rule is one that seems counter-intuitive: relax.

One thing I always do when I get stuck is to take my mind from my writing problems and do something completely different, be it just cruising around the internet, watching television, drawing, listening to music or (as weird as it sounds) writing something different than the article I'm stuck on.

By altering my state of mind, I get out of my mental pigeon-hole and open up. Sometimes it takes an hour, other times a few days, but eventually, an idea comes to me that is so fantastic that I have absolutely no problem writing it -- all thanks to relaxing. So next time, you're in a rut, just remember that '80s song by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and relax!

Monique Jones is a senior majoring in journalism at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and a visual arts graduate of the Alabama School of Fine Arts. Monique has written for and was features editor and Editor-in-Chief of UAB's school newspaper, Kaleidoscope, and currently writes for iloveuab.com. Monique is also an online affiliate of the WB Entertainment Affiliate Program., and is writing a book, Polite Society

No comments: