Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Making it All Worthwhile

I just got a call from a good friend of mine. Sharie Conard is an award-winning vocalist and a dynamic speaker. She recorded the song "Carol of the Horse" that is featured in our upcoming children's book by the same name.

For some time now, I've been telling Sharie that she needed to put out a book or two on the sorts of things she teaches in her workshops and seminars. I told her how to go through the process. I told her how to avoid being afraid of actually "writing." I showed her how to narrow down a worthwhile topic, how to get started, and how to proceed.

She was skeptical and a little overwhelmed, but she jumped in. And she did it! She called to say that she'd just written the end of the book. She doesn't want to shop it around to a publisher. We're going to work it up as a downloadable .pdf document, enabling her to make an affordable, timely printed project available almost immediately.

I am so proud of her! And I'm happy that I had some small part in the project.

Don't get me wrong -- the book is all hers. But I'll happily take credit for piloting her through the project so she could get it done quickly (less -- MUCH less -- than a month from start to finish).

I love helping people get their words out. It's something I can't help doing. If I'm in an airport or restaurant (two places I've been spending a lot of time, lately), I often find myself in conversation with someone and offering them advice on how to get their book done faster, easier, and with far less blood, sweat or tears than they ever dreamed possible.

Phone calls from friends like Sharie, riding high because they just finished writing their first book, and have ideas in their heads for several more, make it all worthwhile!