Thursday, January 26, 2006

Oprah For President

Or, A Small Victory for Truth

I spent some time this morning doing a personal consultation with a woman who wanted some advice on querying publishers about acquiring her young adult novel. She has two books finished and is working on a third. It was so refreshing talking to her. She's not delusional about the publishing business. She doesn't take the thought of rejection personally. And she can really write.

I told her that all of my advice should be taken with a liberal sprinkling of salt because I haven't cracked the young adult novel market yet. I haven't cracked any fiction market -- non-fiction is currently paying the bills. But I was more than happy to help her with what I know. Hope it helps.

Speaking of cracking the fiction market, Oprah Herself called James Frey ("A Million Little Pieces") on the carpet today where she quizzed him about the fiction masquerading as reality in his book. During the interview, Frey admitted to fabricating or embellishing aspects of every character in his book. And Oprah even apologized for calling in on Larry King and defending Frey.

"I made a mistake," Oprah said. "I left the impression that the truth does not matter and I am deeply sorry about that. That is not what I believe."

Who wants to see Oprah interview our elected leaders? Show of hands anyone?