Monday, November 14, 2011

Write What You (Used To) Know: Reclaiming Your Inner Child

I'm happy to welcome back guest blogger Melissa Boone. Melissa wrote the "Don't Give Up!" guest post earlier this month. She owns her own business but her true passion is writing.  Her children's ebook, Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese, is available for Kindle.  Her second book, Paranormal Encounters was recently released via Amazon.com.  

Melissa loves still photography; her pictures can be purchased at www.NaturesOutdoorPhotography.com.  She has been "married to the same wonderful man for the past 24 years and have 5 children and will soon be a grandmother." Melissa and I have been discussing the things that motivate us and keep us writing. I like her simple approach to inspiration. Thanks, Melissa, for letting me share this with my readers! 

It doesn't get any more simple than this:

Write about what you know.

I've always loved writing children's books but too many times I found myself trying to use my much damaged imagination.  Really, I think once we get to a certain age the ability (at least for most of us) to conjure up our imaginary friends or just making up a good story lessens.  The ability to think like a child is lost.

Even when I try to play dolls with my daughters or trucks with my boys I just can't do it.  It's not because I think it's silly (or is it?); I just don't know how to "play" anymore.

It's sad in a way because I remember as a child how much fun it was to do those sort of things but as I get older things become more practical and realistic.  I don't think the boys would appreciate me playing cars and showing my "road rage" skills, or playing dolls with the girls and letting my not-so-nice adult social abilities slip out.  No, I'm not an angry person; really.  It's just part of growing up, dealing with people not only on the roads but everyday life is not always easy.

So, you ask, how can I write children's books?

Well, I learn from my children, that's how.  The two books I've written so far have been about my eight- year old daughter.  What better example to use for a children's book than a child?

Our children are more of an inspiration to us than we give them credit for most of the time (ok: all the time).  We as parents think it's our full time job to always teach our children but when you stop and think about it, they are also teaching us each day.

If you are struggling with what to write about, look around you.  Even if you don't have children, just take a look.  If you have nieces, nephews, or grandchildren let them inspire you.  It's only takes one small thing to create a novel. My daughter's love for grilled cheese is what inspired my first book and her love for puppies has inspired my next book soon to be released.  Let your imagination flow as best it can and let the kids do the rest.  Before you know it, you will be typing the last few words of one book and will already have ideas for the next.

Happy hunting and keep an open mind.....

No comments: